Football Manager 2013: New Features Requests
It’s July now and we already start to think about Football Manager 2013, even though we’ll still have a fair amount of time to play FM 2012. And even though Football Manager 2012 was an almost flawless game, there are a lot of improvements that can come with Football Manager 2013, features that we’d like to see and request for the developers. And even though this list below won’t make too much of a difference, I will write it anyway and I want you to feel free to contribute: a list of new Football Manager 2013 features requested by the fans!
So let’s see what new goodies I would like to see implemented in Football Manager 2013:
I will start with the match engine in Football Manager 2013, since I think that here a lot of work has to be invested:
- I want the players to no longer get hit by balls passed to other players when they’re in the way. Although this does happen sometimes in real life, it happens too often in Football Manager and takes away from realism.
- I want the players to REACT based on the position of the ball and not on their instructions. Many times I saw my winger running away from the ball to reach his position on the field, leaving the ball to the opposition or to a player coming from a greater distance. This problem is, in my opinion, one of the biggest in Football Manager and I really hope it will be fixed in FM2013
- Somehow cut the delay when a player is booked (and he has to slowly walk towards the referee) or when a corner is taken or physio comes to see an injured player.
- Reduce the importance pace / acceleration have in the game. It is true that fast players in real life too are better than slower ones, but to have a fast monkey better than Beckham (in his good ol’ days) is not good.
- Shot accuracy fixed. I can’t imagine how Messi would miss in real life 3 out of 5 chances when he’s alone in front of goal, but in Football Manager that usually happens. I really want Football Manager 2013 to fix this problem!
Other features that I would love to see implemented in Football Manager 2013:
- Dynamic club evolution. I can’t stand my club that plays in the top division for 6 years now to have the same rivals from the lowest division. Also, tweak a little bit how things are evolving – take Viitorul Constanta team managed by Johnny on Football Manager Stories, where he’s winning the Romanian Top League for several seasons now and always gets out of the group stages in Champions League, but the club’s reputation is still national.
- Stop keeping Potential Ability so important in the game. A player with top potential ability will perform better than one with lower skills and it doesn’t seem to matter too much what his CURRENT level is. See the story of my custom Toppotential Lowratings player who is now a key player at Real Madrid in my game, despite having some pretty crappy skills.
- Tweak the contract demands asked by players who want to leave a team and want to go to your team, or for players who are forced out: they should or could accept wage cuts in order to get more first team football or simply to leave a club where they’re not wanted.
- Make player/manager relations more powerful and base actions on this (eg. managers who get to hate a specific player will stop playing him just because they don’t get along or players refuse to play or pay bad just to be placed on a transfer list)
- Scouting must be tweaked. Right now, no matter what skill a scout has, they all seem to give you the same results on players and predict their current and potential ability. So this makes no sense in doing your best to have the best scouts, right? Fix this!
- More interaction with the team and board demands. Make some boards want you to play an attacking style of footbal, make other directors ask you to play or keep a specific player – all these things that happen in real life and are not that fun, but have to be dealt with.
- Introduce a feature like board meetings, similar to staff meetings. There you can discuss with the board about the future of the club (building new stadiums, improving training center and so on)
- Change the media interaction completely (or even remove it). I don’t really have a coherent idea on how to fix the media interactions in Football Manager 2013, but this feature seems to be vastly useless right now…
What about you? What new features you’d like the upcoming Football Manager 2013 to have?